Handloom, as we all know is nothing but, the loom that is woven in hand. Handloom products and handloom weavers actually represent the integral part of the rich culture, heritage, and tradition of India. It is one of the largest employment providers after agriculture in India. A variety of aspects can be categorized for describing the handloom sector in our country.
- The richness of this very particular form of the loom can be pictured from its dignified style. Not a surprising fact but, of course, 95% percent of the world’s hand-woven fabric comes from India.
- The ethnicity of Handloom is glorified to date by the transferring skills through generations. All of us might know that the actual strength of handloom lies in its uniqueness. Handloom being woven in hand is extremely believed to adapt to any of the requirements easily. It is extremely open to innovations and also holds the flexibility to produce.
- It also cannot be denied that the handloom industry needs to get a stronghold of itself. In today's world, technology has reached its zenith and definitely has far more to go. Hence, the handloom industry has to meet the challenges that are being posed by the growing economic, social and technological changes.
- The Handloom sector actually plays a very important role in the country’s economy. It is one of the largest economic activities that is providing direct employment to a huge population engaged in weaving or so. Various schemes and programs are constantly being implemented thus addressing the needs of the weavers who constitute the lower social place and occupational groups, which are at the bottom of the economic hierarchy.
- As because of the various valuable aspects of the handloom sector such as its uniqueness and the elements of artistry, this sector holds the potential to contribute a lot towards export earnings for the country. The authority has to understand the necessity of the handloom sector.
- The Handloom sector in India is actually facing various issues such as the unorganized production system, low productivity and so. Therefore, all these obstructions have to brought to notice and necessary implementations have to be taken.
On the other hand, we have the loom that is devised technologically, known as power loom. It genuinely has the capacity to produce a huge number of variations in designs. No doubt, power looms have a high running speed, but, unlike handloom, it can produce one color fabric.
- It actually seems pleased to know that almost 60% of the Indian cloth is produced using the power loom sector. This very sector holds the potential to produce a wide range of fabrics.
- It is not that the power loom industry was in the boom in its initial days. It definitely had to cope up with the growing demands for faster production. And today it is one of the most powerful sectors on which the Indian economy relies upon.
- The power loom industry in India has always occupied a prominent place in the economic spheres of the country. This very sector of the textile industry has been providing employment to innumerable people, both skilled and unskilled workforce in India.
- Due to the improvisation brought to the power loom sector, it has spiraled the productivity and efficiency of the weavers. There has been a tremendous increase in the power loom sector units over the last decade.
A variety of differences can be categorized between the Handloom and Power loom sector. But each of them plays a unique role in their respective sectors. Each of these sectors is genuinely undergoing timely changes as per the century's demand. And, yes, both the Handloom and Power loom sectors are contributing a lot to the country's economy.